Activated carbon or activated charcoal is an ingredient that is used by cosmetic companies to remove sebum, dirt and toxins from the surface of the skin.
- 225 g of extra-virgin olive oil
- 125 g of coconut oil
- 100 g of rapeseed oil
- 25 g of castor oil
- 25 g of shea butter
- 100 g of distilled water
- 90 g distilled witch hazel water (alcohol-free)
- 68 g of caustic soda
- 1 tablespoon of charcoal powder
- 1 teaspoon of powdered green tea extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of citric acid
- 5 drops of vitamin E
- Optional: you can add 20 drops of rosemary essential oil, in this way the soap will smell fabulous.
Wear gloves and mask.
Make sure that it covers both the nose and the mouth and fix it by passing the appropriate bands behind the ears. Check that it does not bother you and allows you to breathe freely. After placing it, wear protective gloves.
- If the mask elastics are designed to pass behind the head, attach them to the height of the nape. Make sure that it stays securely in place even while you move.
- If you have a special nose room, arrange it so that it does not bother you and allows you to breathe freely.
- You can also protect your eyes by wearing a pair of swimming goggles or simple glasses.
Pour the caustic soda into the water.
This procedure should be carried out in the open air, outside the walls of the house. First pour 100 g of distilled water into a large glass boule, then add 68 g caustic soda. Remember that it is better to avoid reversing the steps, in other words do not pour the water on the caustic soda. Before starting, make sure there are no children or animals nearby.
- Sodium hydroxide, commercially known as caustic soda, is an ingredient commonly used in cleaning products. It is a dangerous corrosive compound that can cause skin burns.
- Pouring the soda into the water will give rise to a chemical reaction that causes a rapid increase in temperature and the emission of toxic vapors. Be very careful not to inhale such dangerous fumes.
- Check that you have correctly worn the safety equipment before pouring caustic soda into the water.
Dissolve the caustic soda in the water.
Help it to dissolve using a spoon or another utensil. You will notice that the liquid will become cloudy. At this point you must let the mixture rest for 20 minutes in a safe place, away from children and animals. Cooling down it will become slightly more transparent.
Add the witch hazel to the mixture of water and caustic soda.
Stir for a few minutes to distribute evenly.
Mix the oils and shea butter.
In a second large boule, blend extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, canola oil, castor oil and shea butter. The ideal is to use an electric whisk. You must obtain a smooth and slightly dense consistency.
Pour the mixture of distilled water, caustic soda and witch hazel in the combination of oils and shea butter.
Add it slowly and carefully, then mix with a sturdy metal spoon.
Work your future soap bar.
Stir the ingredients back with the electric mixer for a few minutes. You will know that they are well blended when the mixture thickens slightly acquiring a consistency similar to that of a still slightly liquid mayonnaise.
Add the last ingredients.
When the mixture has reached the expected density, it is time to add a tablespoon of charcoal, a teaspoon of green tea extract, half a teaspoon of citric acid and 5 drops of vitamin E. In addition, if desired, you can also incorporate 20 drops of rosemary essential oil.
Amalgamate all the ingredients.
Resume the electric whisk. When the mixture takes the consistency of a normal mayonnaise, you can stop mixing.
Pour the mixture into the molds.
Place them on a flat work surface, then fill them using a ladle. At the end, cover each individual mold with food foil, then put them all together under a clean kitchen towel. After 24 hours you can remove the film, but you will still have to leave the soap in the molds.
Remove the soap from the molds.
After seven days, you can take out the soaps and put them to air dry on a grill for a month. There are methods to make the soap dry faster (for example in a week), but in this case it will dissolve more easily and last longer.