A healthy and balanced diet is essential for the development and growth of children. Hence the importance of taking care of the food of our children. We share some best healthy foods for children.
The nutrients are those that provide the body with nutrients, vitamins, calories and other components necessary for optimum performance throughout the day.
It is important to include healthy foods in the daily diet of the little ones. In this way, you will be instilling healthy lifestyle habits that will accompany you throughout your life.
If children learn to eat well, when they are older they will be healthier and have a lower risk of developing diseases such as obesity, diabetes or cardiovascular disease.
It is important to arouse the curiosity of children towards the most nutritious foods by presenting the dishes in an original and fun way to get their attention. You have to offer them a wide variety of healthy foods so they don’t get bored of always eating the same thing.
Here is a list of 10 nutritious and healthy foods for children that should not be missing in their diet and that will help their development and growth.
Avocado has a high content of monounsaturated fats, known as good fats that help reduce bad cholesterol.
It is a great source of soluble fiber that helps stabilize blood sugar.
Rich in vitamin E, which protects against free radicals. These are harmful molecules that enter the body through substances such as sunlight or pollution.
It contains vitamin D, which is necessary to absorb calcium and phosphorus. So, that makes children strengthen their bones and teeth.
The babies from 6 months can also start eating avocado. However, it is advisable to ask your pediatrician beforehand, he will give you the necessary recommendations to start the complementary feeding. It is one of the best healthy foods for children.
Avocado is an easy and quick food to prepare since it does not carry cooking. You can eat raw, in salads, with other fruits or spread it on a slice of bread. It is advisable to use it immediately after cutting it as it oxidizes quickly and turns black.
This fruit is an important source of energy and if you have children you know that they spend a lot throughout the day. However, babies from 8 months of age can start eating blueberries in the form of juices or compotes, since the fruit is small and can be choked.
Cranberries have a high nutritional value:
- Rich in fiber, which helps the child have proper digestion.
- Antioxidant power that protects children from free radicals.
- They contain flavonoids that enhance memory and improve learning, so they are perfect for school-age children who face new information every day.
- Rich in potassium, which allows the child to stay hydrated and recover the electrolytes that are lost through sweating.
Oatmeal is a cereal very rich in fiber and provides slow absorption carbohydrates. That is, it is a healthy energy source and it is also very complete at the level of proteins, vitamins, and minerals.
Children should consume oatmeal with caution, especially oatmeal, as these contain a lot of fiber.
It is advisable to introduce oatmeal in the child’s diet from the year of age. It should start with very small quantities and well cooked.
Oatmeal can be combined with other foods such as milk, yogurt, and fruits. It is a very nutritious food, but it should be taken moderately.
It can also be eaten as a dessert or snack. Some children do not like the texture of oats, so a good way to eat this nutritious food is to prepare some delicious cookies. If you want to know how to make them, here is the recipe for oatmeal cookies that we share with us Diana, from Baby Mink.
Salmon is a fish rich in healthy fats (omega-3 fatty acids) that helps lower cholesterol and increase blood flow.
Salmon is an important food for brain function and for a healthy nervous system. It is one of the best healthy foods for children.
It contains fat-soluble vitamins such as A and D.
- The Vitamin A contributes to the growth, maintenance, and repair of mucous membranes, skin and other body tissues. It also protects against infections and is necessary for the development of the nervous system and for night vision.
- The Vitamin D aids in the absorption of calcium and promotes fixation of this mineral in bone.
Spinach has laxative properties since they are a good source of fiber.
They have a high content in folate, in iron and other minerals that favor the formation of red blood cells. And in addition, they have other benefits such as:
- They are an excellent source of calcium, iron, and vitamins A and C.
- They benefit bone growth and brain development.
- It helps strengthen muscles.
- They protect the skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Reduce eye diseases.
Sweet potato or sweet potato is a tuber of soft and sweet taste. It is important that you always cook because if you eat raw you can not digest well. However, when it is well cooked it is an easily digestible food.
Sweet potato is a natural source of potassium that contains a lot of vitamin A and is very nutritious and rich in antioxidants. In addition, it has slow absorption carbohydrates and is rich in vitamins that give the child energy and strengthen their health.
It is an important source of carotenes, which contribute to skincare inside and out. And also, it is ideal for children during exams, as it improves memory.
It is an excellent food for the smallest of the house and has numerous benefits, including the following:
- Yogurt is rich in calcium and protein and helps build children’s bones and teeth.
- It allows the development of bacterial flora, which translates into better assimilation of nutrients.
- It contains lactic acid that stimulates the action of digestive enzymes and therefore contributes to better absorption of minerals and better assimilation of vitamins.
- It is digested easier than milk and the body assimilates all its components better.
- Reduces the reduction of diarrhea. WHO recommends replacing milk with yogurt when the child has diarrhea.
Kiwi is a fruit that contains twice as much vitamin C as orange and with only one kiwi per day meets the recommended daily needs. It is one of the best healthy foods for children.
It can be introduced in the diet of the smallest from 12 months of age, but in cases where the mother consumes it regularly and there have been no allergies to other foods, you can start earlier.
Some of its benefits are:
- The vitamin C increases resistance decreasing colds.
- Kiwi is also rich in vitamin E, which protects the skin and helps fight infections.
- It is rich in fiber and therefore helps prevent constipation in children.
- It has a high content of natural enzymes that facilitate digestion.
- It contains folic acid, essential during pregnancy and in children for its growth and the functioning of its immune system.
- It is rich in magnesium, which contributes to the formation of bones and teeth.
The egg is a very complete food, since it is rich in nutrients, has few calories and helps in the growth of the little ones in the house.
The egg contains choline, a nutrient that improves brain activity and also provides a source of phosphorus, important for the brain and neuronal transmissions. It is one of the best healthy foods for children.
This food should be incorporated gradually after 10 months of the baby. It is one of the foods that produce more allergies and therefore, it is necessary to start with a quarter of cooked yolk and increase if the child does not have allergic reactions.
Cocoa is a natural fruit that after a manufacturing process turns into chocolate. It is one of the best healthy foods for children.
It is a very energetic food with nutrients such as calcium, phosphate, vegetable proteins, minerals and also contains flavonoids (antioxidants).
Some of its benefits are:
- It makes children more active and awake, which can help in their learning.
- Flavonoids cause increased blood flow to the brain and promotes the expulsion of harmful elements through the urine.
- It helps muscles and bones get stronger.
- It has been considered an anti-stress food and it has bioactive compounds that correct the imbalances of the nervous system.