With age, we lose vision, but that does not mean that we have to get used to it since there are solutions that improve vision loss. Low vision is one that occurs when you lose the ability to see for one or both eyes and this generates problems to perform the activities of daily living. The important thing is to try to maintain the greatest possible autonomy so that you can continue with the usual activities without having to resort to others and not see diminished the quality of life.
Thus, we must go to an ophthalmologist when we begin to have difficulties to get some common daily basis things like:
- Read without problems.
- To write.
- Watch TV.
- Read street signs.
- See the faces of people well.
- Distinguish colors.
- Use your mobile phone.
There are several pathologies that can cause low vision, such as macular degeneration. Although in general, these diseases are more common in older people, the aging of the eye itself does not have to cause low vision.
In addition to those mentioned, eye diseases that can produce low vision include:
- High myopia or myopia great. When you exceed eight diopters.
- The falls. Loss of transparency in the lens.
- Retinitis pigmentosa. It appears when there are problems to adapt to the lack of light and it loses field of vision until having what is known as a vision in the tunnel.
- Diabetic retinopathy. The vascular problems of diabetes affect the blood vessels of the retina.
To cope with the loss of vision there are different solutions, but it is very important to put yourself in the hands of a specialized team before the first symptoms.
You may also like to read: Loss of autonomy during old age
The first thing that will do this equipment will be a complete ophthalmologic diagnosis in order to locate the cause that produces the low vision. Once they have the diagnosis, we can in the hands of the specialist in low vision and visual rehabilitation technician to begin to solve the situation, where also we can at our disposal the necessary means to follow the rehabilitation plan marked. During the whole process, we will have a continuous follow-up by our team of specialists, who will accompany us in all our reviews and will evaluate the goals set.
The aids for the management of the low vision are divided in:
- Not optical. As are the lecterns, the lighting, macro types …, that is, those that goes beyond the pure correction of the eyes.
- Optics. These are lenses that are used to improve what is left of vision. There are several types, such as those that increase up to 16 times the size; A wide variety of magnifiers; Filters to gain comfort, contrast, and protection of the eyes, and telescopes, which can be adapted to the glasses.
- Electronics. Here are the electronic magnifiers, where the magnifying glasses-television can adapt to different electronic devices.